The preferred application deadline is October 15, 2010 for PhD programs starting in January 2011.
The application deadline is January 15, 2011 for MS and PhD programs starting in September 2011.
Thereafter, students are welcome to apply and be considered on a rolling admission basis.
It should be noted that most programs have no formal closing date, however some programs will fill quickly and you are advised to apply and complete your application before April 2011 to ensure facilitation of the visa application and relocation process.
Preparing your Application to KAUST
Thank you for your interest in the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). We suggest you carefully review the list of requirements and prepare your application in advance of the deadline.
- You should complete your bachelor/master’s degree in a KAUST-relevant field of study prior to the semester of enrollment.
- Current field of study must be in a KAUST-relevant area, such as Engineering, Mathematics, or the Physical, Chemical and Biological Sciences.
- There is no minimum GPA requirement for admission. However, most candidates will have an average cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale or equivalent in other international grading systems. The average GPA of admitted students is currently 3.7 on a 4.0 scale.
- KAUST requires a minimum TOEFL score of 79 on the IBT (Internet Based Test) or 6.0 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) before an application will be considered for admission. KAUST’s university code for the TOEFL exam is 4107. Only official TOEFL or IELTS scores will be accepted. TOEFL or IELTS scores for tests administered by an educational institution for admission to that particular institution are not acceptable.
- A TOEFL or IELTS score is not required if the applicant is a native speaker of English (English is the primary language spoken in the home) or received a degree from a university in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand. KAUST does not require the GRE exam for admission. However, we encourage students to take the GRE general test. A high quantitative score on the GRE will enhance a student’s application Official test results should be send directly from ETS. The KAUST university code is 4139. The average score on the GRE quantitative section was 780 for admitted students in the 2010 admission.
- Submit an official university transcript from every institution previously attended. We have provided downloadable file below that may be helpful in obtaining records from institutions you have previously attended. A scan of the unofficial transcript should be uploaded into the online application form and an official transcript must also be sent directly from the university in a university sealed envelope to:Graduate Affairs
Building 9, Suite 4328
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology,
4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Thuwal, Jeddah 23955-6900,
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Submit a statement of purpose with your application. In this statement, describe your motivation for seeking admission to KAUST and your preparation for the program to which you are applying. Describe your research interests and study interests, as well as your plans for the future. Demonstrating an aptitude for academic study and research-leadership potential may enhance your statement of purpose.
- You must have three letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Letters of recommendation are extremely important and should be written by professors or advisers under whom you have pursued research or taken courses in your major field of study. Recommenders should provide details about how he/she knows your work, as well as comparative statements (e.g., top 1% of class, best in past five years, etc.), and insight into research ability.